You can be sure that life will at times be a twisting path of “potholes” around which you must navigate.
You’ve likely been through phases of your life already where you wondered if your luck would ever change.
Then, things calmed down and you discovered the smoother, straighter road.
No matter where your journey leads, staying focused on what you want in life will keep your spirits high and bring you joy.
The key, then, to a fulfilled life is to achieve your goals no matter what.
Here are some tips to continue going for your goals even though life’s road gets rough:
1. Know exactly what you’re after in life.
What do you want your life to be like?
When you’re sure, you can then plan your activities over the short and long term to help you achieve your goals.
2. Keep your list of life goals short and to the point.
Some good examples of life goals are:
“Save 25% of my yearly earnings for kids’ education, vacations and retirement,”
“Take budget-friendly vacations out of the country every 5 years,” and “Retire when I’m 67.”
3. Infuse elements of achieving your goals into your everyday life.
Let’s say one of your goals is to travel to Norway three years from now.
Have a couple of books about Norway laying around the house, on your coffee table and nightstand.
Listen to radio shows about Norway via the web or as a podcast.
Watch television shows about Norway.
...and if you're really adventurous, learn how to speak Norwegian!
- Make your life goals part of your everyday life so that even when life gets bumpy, you’ll be able to keep your eyes on what’s really important to you. After all, it will be right there in front of you.
4. Talk positively to yourself.
Although some kinds of talking to yourself might not be seen as healthy, it can be quite helpful to use positive self-talk.
When you do, you’ll be more likely to keep working toward your goals in life.
Say something like, “I’m in a rough patch but I can still keep saving for my retirement and my kids’ educations.”
- Other examples of positive self-talk are
- “I can get through this challenging phase just like I did before,”
- “As long as I keep moving forward, things are okay,” and
- “Life has in store many more wonderful adventures for me.”
- Using positive self-talk will keep your spirits buoyed when you feel like you’re floundering in choppy waters.
5. Reflect on your efforts in order to reinforce them.
Even though you may be struggling, think about what you accomplished just this week to achieve your goals.
Maybe you made a couple of phone calls, explored the internet to gather information, or drew up a new budget to ensure you’re on target for saving for your life goals.
- The fact is you did something. And recognizing that will reinforce your efforts in your quest to achieve your goals. You can excel in times of great challenge.
Keep working toward accomplishing your goals even though life throws more than a few obstacles at you.
Know what you’re after and stay focused.
Make your life goals a part of your daily life and use positive self-talk. Acknowledge what you’ve done to keep moving forward.
Apply these strategies to help you consistently work to meet your life goals. If you do, you’ll accomplish whatever you want no matter what.
BTW, if you're confused between a goal, and ideal and a value, check out the post Ideals, Values And Goals – what’s the difference?