In this article we discuss ways that you can fine tune your Work Life Balance. These tips focus on steps to improve your work, community and home life.
As the late 20th century and early 21st centuries have unfolded, the social distribution of work roles has changed. Whereas before 1980 each family usually had only one bread-winner (usually a man), most families now need 2 breadwinners to maintain a healthy and prosperous lifestyle.
However, because many people choose to work, this means that the proportion of the rest of their life has diminished to the point that careful consideration is needed in order to balance our work and home life.
Unfortunately for some, the lines between work and the rest of life have become blurred, resulting in confusion, misplaced priorities, lack of time and overall dissatisfaction.
Many people get the feeling that, despite all the hard work, there is still something missing in their life. The missing element is most likely mental peace and tranquility.
It follows that if you follow certain rules, you will be able to capture the peace and tranquility that people value so highly.
If you have a balance between your personal and professional life, some of these factors are in your control, and others may be out of your control. For convenience, we'll look at some tips for work-life balance, which are divided into three headings below.
6 Tips for Balancing and Enhancing Your Work Life
- Take small breaks during the day. Most workplaces have morning, afternoon and lunch breaks. However if you set your own hours, a break of 10 to 15 minutes in the morning and afternoon, as well as at least 30 minutes for lunch will refresh your mind and enhance your productivity.
- Prioritise your day and divide your time realistically. Focus on the important tasks first and the least important tasks last.
- Limit all email correspondence to your workplace only. Don't take work home!
- Make a clear distinction between your work and personal life. Don't work or think about work when you are at home, and vice versa. For those who work at home, define specific hours when you are working, and those when you are not, and be fairly strict in their application. Make sure that family members understand when you are at work, and do not disturb you when you are working.
- If you are your own boss, be realistic about the deadlines you set for yourself. Take into consideration your home life when setting them. If you don't set your deadlines yourself, negotiate realistic ones with your boss and communicate any problems to them to avoid any last moment issues.
- If your work agreement guarantees leave, then take it when due and do not let it accumulate. If you do not have leave in your agreement, or if you are self employed, plan to take leave on a regular basis. Taking leave is necessary to remove all your thinking about work and concentrate on the quality of your life. Not only that, but you will return to work refreshed and invigorated and will most likely be better at it.
6 Ways To Enhance Your Home Life
- Following on from the above, when you are at home, plan to relax and spend time with family and not think about work. If you work at home, make sure you relax at a specific time, and that this is 'home time.'
- Divide household chores amongst family members evenly, so that when they are completed the family can sit together and share some quality time together.
- Exercise for at least 20 minutes a day. You may have an interest in various sports, but even just going for a long walk will refresh you and make you feel more energised. If you live near to work, you could even walk there - to 'kill two birds with one stone.'
- It goes without saying that eating good, healthy food is good for your health. However don't forget that it also gives you the energy to spend time with your family and to work productively.
- Take up a hobby. This keeps your mind off work and energises you. Hobbies are also quite effective at alleviating stress.
- Take Up Meditation. Find a time each day to sit quietly when you won't be disturbed. Close your eyes and begin to breathe deeply. Keep doing this for as long as you want, but usually at least 10-15 minutes is best. Try not to think about anything and just concentrate on your breathing. If you wish, you can purchase meditation products such as Holosync that enhance your ability to relax and chill out.
Fine Tune Your Work Life Balance and Extend To Your Community
In addition to home and work, spending time with your community helps round out and balance your life. This can take any number of forms - from your Church, Temple or Mosque to helping orphans or assisting with the school fete. The are plenty of community organisations to choose from, depending on where your sympathies lie.
By 'giving back' (or more accurately, 'giving forward') you will enhance your level of satisfaction and bring you a sense of social responsibility.
Fine Tune Your Work Life Balance - Conclusion
You know, there is a saying that says ''All Work and No Play Makes Jack A Dull Boy". This video says it all... after all, it's spoken by a boring 'bot!